Help develop your young players' forwards and backwards sprint skills with this basic fitness football (soccer) drill. It's a useful warm-up drill and can be used for indoor soccer training sessions, too.
Sprinting forwards and backwards soccer drill
- Place three cones in a straight line with 5 yards to 10 yards between each cone.
- Players should sprint forwards from cone one to two.
- Then run backwards from cone two to one.
- Finally, sprint forwards from one to three.
- Look for how your players keep a lower centre of gravity when changing direction. They must bend their knees to keep balance.
- Repeat sprinting drill five times. Rest for 60 seconds between repetitions.
Click here to subscribe to Soccer Coach Weekly and get more fitness tips and drills for young football players.
Click here for another basic soccer (football) drill to work on your players' sprint speeds.