This is a great soccer warm-up drill, which you can use during a coaching session to get your players' minds back in focus. It involves playing a soccer skills game and has a competitive angle.
Set up soccer warm-up
- In a 15m x 15m square put four cones on the corners with a ball on each of them.
- Put your two teams on either side outside the square. One team are attackers and the other team are defenders.
- They go head to head in the square, one player from each side at a time.
- The defender must mirror the attacker's movements.
- The attacker tries to lose the defender and race to knock a ball off one of the cones.
- Can the defender react and beat the attacker to the cone?
- The defender is allowed to go shoulder-to-shoulder or use their arms to hold off the attacker but he must not commit a foul.
- Switch roles for the next attack.
Click here for a soccer warm-up drill to get players thinking.
To order a copy of The Ultimate Soccer Warm-Ups Manual, click here.