When your team is playing out from the back, one of the elements that is important is the pass from the goalkeeper out to a defender in space. A pass that puts the defenders under pressure will usually end up in disaster. This small-sided game is designed to keep defenders on their toes but gives them a target to aim at.
Set up the game
Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum).
- One full-sized goal.
- One keeper.
- Two teams of four players.
- Three mini target goals.
Run the game
- One team starts the game as the attacking team.
- One team starts the game as the defending team.
- The keeper starts the drill with the ball in his hands.
- The defending team must attempt to pass out of defence and into one of the mini goals in order to score a goal.
- The attacking team must try to win the ball and shoot into the net to score a goal.
- The game is played for 10 consecutive balls.
- The two teams then reverse roles for a further 10 balls.
Click here for a soccer drill to get players passing back.