You can use this simple small-sided soccer game in any of your coaching sessions, it gives young players a good fitness workout as an alternative to the traditional end-of-training match.
This small-sided soccer game is all about possession rather than attacking a goal, and works on a soccer (football) player's movement and vision to be able to find team-mates.
Small-sided game set up
- To play this possession game you need to set up a pitch 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum), and use two teams of four players.
- No goals.
- Use normal throw-ins or kick ins.
Run the game
- The aim of the game is to keep possession of the ball.
- A goal is awarded to the team that completes a certain number of passes (a minimum of five for younger players).
- Play over a set time period as you would a normal game – say, the last ten minutes of the training session.
Small-sided soccer games are recommended as one of the best ways to coach soccer skills. 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games has all you need to run successful coaching sessions based on this system.
Click here for another possession skills small-sided soccer game.