A useful soccer coaching tip for your young strikers is to get them to make the 18-yard box their home, as 80 per cent of goals are scored from here.
Key soccer coaching tips for strikers
- Too many strikers hang around the fringes of the action, instead of being drawn – automatically – to the area where they pose the greatest threat: the 18-yard box.
- Strikers need to impact the soccer (football) game with their skills. Your young soccer players need to worry the defence, even when they haven’t got the ball.
- That cannot be one from the half way line or from the corner flag.
- Keep encouraging your strikers to “step over the line” and coach them to get into the penalty area, whenever they can.
What to say to your strikers:
- "If shooting is your first priority, getting into the box is your second priority.”
- “Without straying offside, get into that 18-yard area whenever you can. Just being there raises the anxiety level of the opposition defenders and goalkeepers.”
- “Their 18-yard area is your home. Don’t wait for an invitation."
Click here to order a copy of Soccer Attack! – a manual with soccer (football) drills and tips to give your players the confidence to create more goals.
Click here for a soccer drill to get your strikers putting more power in their shots.