Every player in your soccer (football) team should be able to shoot from a distance, especially your midfielders and attackers. And when they are running in on goal they need to be able to put in the tap-ins. Use this soccer drill to coach both these skills.
Long shot soccer drill
This is a good soccer drill to help your goalkeepers as well as the rest of the team because it gives them long shots and clever shots to save.
Hit a power shot, then be clever
We call it power play, you have to score one of your two chances or you are out. Your players will love this soccer drill, because it represents the kind of competition they revel in.
Set up the soccer drill
- You stand on one side of the goal and a helper or player stands on the other.
- Line up your players about 20 metres from the goal.
- You have to hit a long hard pass to the player, who has one-touch, then must shoot from long range.
- As soon as the shot is either saved, scored or missed, the helper plays a short ball which the player must place into the goal.
- They are not allowed to hit the second shot hard – it must be placed with skill past the goalkeeper.
- Miss both chances and the player is out of the soccer drill.
THIS SOCCER DRILL WILL KEEP YOUR GOALKEEPER ON HIS TOES AND LET YOUR PLAYERS PRACTISE THEIR LONG SHOTS.
Key soccer coaching tips
It may be a game, but your players must use their basic soccer skills for long shooting – head over ball – and innovate to score the second goal.
Click here to subscribe to Soccer Coach Weekly and get more soccer coaching tips and drills delivered direct to your inbox every week.
Click here for soccer coaching tips to get your players shooting with more accuracy.