This is a great small-sided game to get your players passing with purpose.
How to set it up:
- Pitch size: 30×20 yards (min) up to 40×25 yards (max).
- The game requires two teams of four players.
- There are no goals.
- Both teams must have two players on the pitch and two players on the outside of the pitch.
- If the ball leaves play, pass a new ball on to the pitch.
- The aim of the game is to make a pass to a team mate on the outside of the area.
- The passing player then goes to the outside while the receiving player dribbles into the playing area.
- A goal is awarded for each successful pass to an outside player.
- The game is played for a set time period.
Why this game works:
Possession and awareness are key in this small-sided game. For those already in the playing area, the game helps them recognise the idea of not always passing to the nearest player.
While for those along the outside, they can only free themselves up to receive the ball by moving left or right, so their efforts in finding position will need to be that much more considered.
This is also a fast-moving game with players coming and going, so awareness of others and the ability to think and move quickly is something that can really develop.
This exercise is taken from 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.