Work on your players’ attacking headers with this soccer training drill and they will send fewer chances over the bar, and more into the goal.
- Tell your players to get into line with the ball quickly.
- They must time their run so they come from behind a defender and get in front of them just as they meet the ball.
- If the pass – or cross – is deeper, tell them to take a step back away from the defender and create space that way.
- In the attacking area they must be really positive to try and win the ball. Tell them that the defender has most to lose.
- Tell your players to use their forehead, making contact with the centre or the top half of the ball to send it downwards.
- If they jump early, coach your players to ‘hang’ in the air. That will make it very difficult for a defender to beat them to the ball without giving away a foul.
Click here for a soccer drill to improve defensive headers.