Set up strikers' drill
- Mark a zone, 30 x 40m, in one half of the pitch.
- Use a full-size pitch for U10s and above, small pitch for the younger ages.
- You need to run a lot of different combinations in this soccer (football) drill.
How to run the drill
- In the diagram you are playing three attackers versus five defenders in the marked zone.
- You need to change the combinations depending on age or how good your attackers are.
- Using the strikers' drill with 3v5 is an advanced situation – if you are just starting out you may want to play 2v2 or even two attackers versus one defender to give your attackers a good chance to pass and score.
- The coach passes the ball into the goalkeeper, then the defenders, then the attackers.
- When you pass to the goalkeeper, he picks the ball up and must distribute to the defenders who are under pressure from the attackers.
- The defenders must advance out of the area – the attackers must win or keep the ball and create a goal-scoring opportunity.
What to look out for in this soccer drill
You are looking for quick, attacking soccer passing from your three attackers and counter-attacking from the five defenders. In this soccer drill the five defenders should be winning the ball and moving into a counter-attacking situation.
Click here to order a copy of Soccer Attack!, which has 80 shooting and finishing drills to coach.
Click here for a defending soccer drill using overload tactics.