Soccer drills to boost throw in technique
With these soccer training drills your players can increase the distance they throw by up to 30 per cent and never have a foul throw called against them. By David Clarke
The perfect throw-in
Simple throw-in drill for under 4s-7s
- Stand facing the field with feet apart
- Place one hand either side of the ball
- Take ball behind the head and throw onto the field
For under-8s and above
- You can teach throw-in skills without a ball, as it's about balance
- To stop players feet leaving the ground, make sure they drag the toes of their rear foot (usually their strongest foot) so hard they can hear it. Knees must be bent to do this
- When the ball goes behind the head, elbows should point out to the side for distance
- Keep upright and follow through with a wristy action
Putting skills into a drill
A good soccer training drill to practise throw-ins is to line the players up, shoulder to shoulder without a ball and get them to throw the imaginary ball on the word 'go.' Tell them to drag the foot so they can hear it, stand upright, hands behind the head and follow through with both arms. Practise this drill each week and your team will have few bad throw ins.
Coach throw in skills to help players keep possession
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA