Soccer drill to give wingers the edge
Get your wingers to focus on a quick one-two soccer drill with their midfield team-mates so they can carve a way to goal and leave a few defenders behind on match days. Sometimes this move is better than dribbling.
Tips to get around a solid defence
When your wingers are hitting a brick wall every time they try to dribble their way to goal, tell them to try playing quick one-twos to get around a solid defence. There is nothing more frustrating for your team if they are constantly losing the ball when your players are trying to dribble around defenders. This way they can beat them without losing the ball.
Set up the soccer drill
For this drill, mark your training pitch into three zones and have two attackers/passers in the first zone, and put a defender in zone 2 and a defender in zone 3.
How to run the soccer drill
- One of your attackers dribbles to the second zone where he must play a quick one-two with his supporting team-mate to beat the defender.
- The supporting player passes the ball back into his path.
- The first attacker then dribbles towards the next defender and repeats the same action.
- His team-mate successfully plays the ball back.
Extend the drill
- Tell your players to vary their approach angles and starting positions and you can vary the size of each zone.
- Put in a chasing player to pressurise the dribbling player.
- Add another defender who puts pressure on the supporting player so he has to pass quicker.
What to watch for
- Tell your dribbling player to wait for the defender to come to him.
- Tell him to keep the defender guessing by using faking skills, such as step-overs and dropping his shoulder.
- Tell both the dribbler and the supporting player they must use explosive bursts of pace to get into the positions to play and receive the ball.
Key soccer coaching tips
Accurate passing is crucial to beating players using this method; timing of passing is crucial; timing of the run is crucial.
Click here for another soccer drill aimed at boosting wingers' skills.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA