Soccer coaching drill to get players' on the move
This a reaction drill that gets soccer players on the move.
How to set it up:
- Place a football on each of four cones, arranged in a line.
- There should be five yards between each cone.
- Position yourself behind the cones.
- Your players should be about 15 yards in front of you, lined up in two rows.
- A soccer player from each row steps forward. They will go 1v1.
- Get the players to bounce on their toes, ready for the first instruction.
- Call out a numbered cone. The players must react, sprint and try to be the first to knock the ball off the cone.
- Players can use their bodies and arms to hold each other off but must not commit a foul.
- At the end of the move, each player rejoins the back of his queue.
Why this works:
This is a simple and quick drill that gets players mentally and physically tuned in. They’ll take pleasure in outmuscling an opponent in a 1v1 situation, and given that all of their team mates are watching, you can be sure of getting 100% commitment!
This is taken from The Ultimate Soccer Warm-Ups Manual, designed to put fun back into your training and make your sessions easier to coach.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA