Soccer warm up drill to get players thinking and moving
How to get players warming up properly for matches is a problem that affects many youth soccer coaches.
In a lot of cases, players just stand around the penalty area firing shots at the goalkeeper. Shooting at the goal, however, is not an effective way of warming up because your players are not moving and they're not thinking.
Take them away from the goalmouth and set up a soccer warm-up drill such as this one. With the help of this drill, your players will be passing, receiving and controlling the ball while listening out for you to call their number.
Run the soccer drill
- Arrange your players into two groups.
- Let the two groups number themselves one to four.
- Tell the players to continually pass the ball and move in their areas.
- Call out a number and that player must sprint across to the opposite area to join that team and continue to pass and move.
- OR call out a number and that player must dribble the ball across to the opposite area.
Click the link to order a copy of The Ultimate Soccer Warm-Ups Manual and get 126 new warm-up drills to motivate and challenge your players.
Click the link for a soccer warm-up drill to help kick-start your training sessions.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA