Fun soccer coaching game to teach quick throw ins
Use this fun small-sided soccer game to help young players take quick throw-ins correctly when they are under pressure.
The throw-in frenzy game will encourage and improve the use of quick throw-ins to gain an advantage.
Set up the game
- Area: Use a 50 yards by 40 yards pitch with a goal at each end. Two eight-yard square boxes on each side, 10 yards from the goal line.
- Equipment: cones, balls, two goals.
- Two players from each team are put into the boxes at the end they are attacking. The remaining players play in the main area.
- To score, a team must pass to one of the boxed players, who catches the ball or picks it up and quickly looks to take a legal throw-in.
- The attacking team is looking to create a goal-scoring opportunity from the throw-in before the defending team can get organised.
- Rotate the players in the boxes at regular intervals.
Progress the soccer drill
- Allow the receiver to play the ball back to the thrower, who can then cross or shoot.
- The thrower can now join in by exiting the box with or without the ball. How do players react to this?
Key soccer coaching tip
Before playing this game, you might want to make sure your players are all aware how to take a legal throw-in and give them a chance to show you their technique.
To get more help coaching basic soccer skills to young players, click the link to order a copy of Fun Soccer Games for 9 to 11 Year Olds by Keith Boanas.
Click the link to see some useful soccer coaching tips to boost player throw-ins.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA