Call out soccer warm up drill
One of the problems soccer coaches often complain about is the difficulties they have getting players to warm up for matches properly. In a lot of cases players just stand around the penalty area firing shots at the goalkeeper.
Shooting in this way is not warming up because most players just stand in the area and try to kick the ball. They're not moving and they're not thinking.
Take them away from the goalmouth and set up a soccer warm up drill such as this one. They will be passing, receiving and controlling the ball while listening out for you to call their number.
How to run the soccer warm up drill
- Arrange your players into two groups.
- Let the two groups number themselves one to four.
- Tell the players to continually pass the ball and move in their areas.
- Call out a number and that player must sprint across to the opposite area to join that team and continue to pass and move.
- OR call out a number and that player must dribble the ball across to the opposite area.
Click the link to order a copy of The Ultimate Soccer Warm Ups Manual.
Click the link for another fun soccer warm up drill.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA