Soccer coaching session for combination play
In this soccer coaching session, players have a decision to make. They must choose whether to shoot, or cross if sent wide. The build up is unopposed and involves combinations of play between four players. The aim is to coach youngsters to pass the ball and use combinations to create goal-scoring opportunities.
How to set up the soccer coaching session
In a 40 yards by 30 yards playing area, you need four cones, a goal, four outfield players and a goalkeeper. Have one of the four outfield players stand by the cones with a ball (the server), while the other three take up positions inside the playing area.
How to play soccer drill
- The server passes to his team-mates, who combine with each other.
- After passing, the server runs to receive a through pass in order to shoot at goal.
- If the server ends up in a wide area, then he must improvise and cross the ball for one of the others to score.
- The server joins the target players.
- One of the three target players becomes the new server.
To read more soccer coaching sessions like this, click here
and order a copy of Soccer Attack!
by Michael Beale, designed to help coach players in every aspect of the game, from individual core skills to team-based attacking strategies.Click here
for a soccer drill to practise crossing combinations.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA