Quick passing soccer coaching game for young players
The aim of this soccer coaching game is to encourage short passing, so play is quick as teams keep the ball away from the defender. The defender must move quickly and try to win the ball by closing down and intercepting passes.
How to play the short passing game
Coaching game set up
- The teams start in opposite countries (end zones) with each player, numbered from 1 to 6, passing in numerical order (1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and so on).
- At any point, you can shout out a number. The players with that number must sprint across the border and try to steal their opponent's ball. Both players move at the same time.
- The remaining players do not have to pass in sequence but must retain possession.
- The first player to win the ball or knock it out of the opponent's country wins a point, and both players return home to restart the sequence.
- Ensure all numbers are called but don't be predictable. The same number could be called twice in a row.
- The first team to reach 10 points wins.
What to call out
- Create a 50 yards by 25 yards area with 10 yards end zones.
- Have two teams of six players.
- Use two balls.
- "Accurate passing."
- "Support your team-mates."
- "Have a good first touch."
Call two numbers at a time to practise defending
in pairs. Alternatively, put restrictions on the number of touches allowed for the passing players. If one team dominates, restrict the number of touches allowed for just that team or swap players. Click here
to order a copy of Fun Soccer Games for 5 to 8 Year Olds.
for a soccer drill to encourage short passing skills.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA