Soccer drill to coach speedy attacks
This soccer coaching session is all about the speed of attack, and getting your young soccer players past defenders before they have realised where the danger is coming from. The clock starts as soon as the defender touches the ball.
Can the attackers move the ball wide and score from a cross before the defender can get organised?
Set up soccer coaching drill
You need to set up a 40 yards by 30 yards playing area using four cones and a goal. Use four players and a goalkeeper.
How to play the soccer drill
- To start, the defender runs out and receives a pass from the central player.
- The defender quickly turns and shoots at goal.
- As soon as the defender has taken a touch, the left-sided player passes into the central player.
- The central player now switches the ball out to the right-sided player.
- The right-sided player dribbles down the line and crosses into the box.
- The left-sided and central players must try to lose the defender and score.
How to rotate your players
- The left-sided player becomes the central player.
- The central player becomes the right-sided player.
- The right-sided player becomes the defender.
- The defender becomes the left player.
For more youth soccer coaching tips, click here to subscribe to Soccer Coach Weekly.
Click here for a soccer drill to help attackers turn and shoot.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA