Soccer coaching drill to develop visual awareness
This soccer coaching drill session is aimed at developing a player's visual awareness by making them look up and know what their team-mates are doing around them. In the session, players have to carry out a specific action in response to a visual cue, which forces them to look before they pass or receive a pass.
How this soccer (football) drill works
Run the drill
- Refer to the diagram above. Player 2 should only use three touches in the centre – one to control the ball, one to move it and one to pass.
- Encourage the players to call out the colour of the visual cue during the soccer drill. This is an important secondary task that increases the challenge for the players and gets them used to talking during play.
How to progress the drill skills
- You need three players, two balls and six markers.
- Player 2 stands between two markers (one black, one white) approximately three yards apart.
- Players 1 and 3 each have one black and one white marker.
- Player 1 passes to player 2.
- Player 2 must look around to "spot" the visual cue, held up by player 3.
- Player 2 must then shift the ball around the same coloured marker as the visual cue.
- Player 2 follows the ball and makes a return pass to player 1.
- Player 2 turns and repeats with player 3. This time, player 1 will hold up the visual cue.
Continue as above but player 2 must now "spot" a second visual cue, held up by player 3 in the picture, and call out the colour before making the return pass.
Rotate the players after they have had two turns.Key soccer coaching tips
- Make sure the players look over their shoulder before receiving a pass.
- The players need a good touch to shift the ball out of their feet and beyond the cone.
- Ensure the players look up and correctly identify the second visual cue before making the return pass.
For more soccer drills, games and coaching advice to help you become a better coach, click here to subscribe to Soccer Coach Weekly.
Click here for soccer coaching tips to improve your players' visual skills.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA