Zoo soccer game to improve first touch and ball control skills
This soccer (football) coaching game is all about accuracy and playing the correct weight of pass, good ball control and first touch, and anticipating and intercepting passes. When you play the game, ensure the players are rotated so they all have a turn as monkeys, zoo keepers and visitors.
How to play the game
- Two monkeys are placed inside the monkey cage (inner circle) and are guarded by four zoo keepers, who start in the zoo (outer circle).
- Six visitors start on the cones forming the perimeter of the zoo, with a ball each.
- The visitors must try to feed the monkeys by passing a ball to them.
- The monkey must be able to control the pass and return it to the visitor for a point to count.
- The zoo keepers must try to stop the monkeys being fed by intercepting passes with their feet or head.
- The monkeys cannot leave their cage, while the zoo keepers and visitors cannot enter the cage or leave the zoo itself.
- Visitors can interchange balls in order to keep the zoo keepers guessing, and to change the point of attack.
- Play for two or three minutes and record the scores.
- The winners can be the visitors with most points scored or the zoo keepers.
Click here to order a copy of Fun Soccer Games for 5 to 8 Year Olds.
Click here for another great soccer drill to help develop your young players' first touch skills.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA