Crossbar challenge game to work on basic soccer heading skills
Run the crossbar challenge to improve your soccer players' heading skills.
Once in a while I like to throw into my football (soccer) training sessions some fun games to keep my players happy. The crossbar challenge is one such game.
How to play crossbar challenge
- This basic heading skills game is set up using the penalty area of whichever size soccer pitch you use.
- I line my players up in two rows with the first player in each row behind the line of the penalty area.
- A helper and I throw balls at the penalty spot from which the two teams have to head the ball. They must try and hit the crossbar of the goal.
- I set a time limit and see which team can hit the bar the most times within that time limit.
- This can also be used as a warm-up soccer (football) drill.
If you have an indoor training space with goals marked out on a wall, you can also use this heading drill for indoor soccer coaching sessions.Click here
to order a copy of Fun Soccer Games for 9 to 11 year olds
for football (soccer) training games to work on young players' heading skills.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA