Positive forward passing drill
When players make a forward pass into an attacker, they must be prepared to support and ensure players in advanced positions do not get isolated. This football passing drill is all about making the most of possession and movement to support the pass.
The aim of keeping possession is to make your opponents run in order to open up spaces to attack.
Some teams manage this football skill very well. However, they do not reap the benefits of their good possession as they play too many square or backward passes.
It is important that players focus on making good, forward attacking passes, then make supporting runs in order to get beyond defenders and into goal-scoring positions.
Set up football passing drill
- Use this football passing drill in a 30 yards by 40 yards area.
- In pairs, players make short passes using two touches over 10 yards.
- Next, they move backwards to a distance of 30 yards apart and play low, driven passes over the longer distance.
How to develop your soccer (football) passing drill
- Put the players into groups of three with two players starting at one end of the playing area, and one opposite. The drill development combines both of the passing ranges as the two players combine with a short one-two (wall pass) before a low driven pass is made to the player opposite.
- The player making the long pass follows the ball to play a one-two at the opposite side and the sequence repeats in the opposite direction.
Put passing drill skills into a game situation
In a small-sided game, each team must nominate two target players to play on the goal line – one either side of the goal. To score a goal, a pass must first be made into one of the two target players, who then set the ball back to a supporting runner.
The supporting runner does not have to be the player who made the initial pass. Rotate the players so everyone has a turn working as a target player.
Click here to subscribe to Smart Sessions Soccer Coaching Plans and get easy-to-coach training sessions dropping into your inbox every week.
Click here for a soccer passing drill to coach movement off the ball.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA