Soccer goalkeeper drill
This soccer (football) goalkeeper drill works on improving a goalkeeper’s ability to deal with a high ball over their head. This can happen when they are caught off their line, or if a cross catches on the wind. The drill will also test a goalkeeper's basic football skills in handling the ball and using quick footwork. You can use the drill as a football warm up or for an indoor soccer drill, too.
What players should think about in this goalkeeper drill
- Fast feet – Short steps will enable the goalkeeper to cover ground as fast as possible in order to make a save without losing balance.
- When to catch / when to deflect the ball away – Sometimes it is better to deflect the ball over the crossbar rather than catching it. Particularly as the goalkeeper's momentum could take them and the ball into the back of the net!
Set up football goalkeeper drill
Use the penalty area and place a cone 10 yards from goal. You also need a server placed around 18 yards from goal.
How to run soccer (football) goalkeeping drill
- The goalkeeper must be “on their toes” at their starting position and throughout the football (soccer) drill.
- On the server’s call, the goalkeeper runs off their line to the cone in front of goal.
- When the goalkeeper reaches the cone, the server throws the ball over the goalkeeper's head, trying to get it to drop underneath the crossbar.
- The goalkeeper runs backwards from the cone and tries to catch the ball or deflect it over the crossbar.
How to develop soccer goalkeeper drill
As before, the goalkeeper starts on the server’s call. This time, when they reach the cone, the goalkeeper must save a shot from the server before recovering to save a ball served overhead.
Put drill skills into a game
- Play a small-sided game and encourage the goalkeepers to find a position that enables them to sweep behind the defense whilst also being able to save any shots over their head.
- Condition the outfield players to use high crosses, chips or lobbed shots.
To order a copy of The Soccer Goalkeeping DVD, click here.
For soccer drills to help a goalie stop a high cross, click here.
For great value goalkeeper gloves, visit click here.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA