Simple passing game for soccer coaches
This passing game encourages movement and co-ordination which are vital if you want your junior teams to progress in soccer. Use this simple soccer passing game to coach a good pass.
Make basic drills into a passing game
Soccer (football) drills need to be easy to explain and carry out for your players to benefit.
That’s why I came up with this two-goal passing and moving game to coach basic soccer and football passing. It has all the elements of a soccer game. Two goals, crosses, passes and movement. It’s also simple to play.
How to set up the soccer passing game
- You need to use 7 or 8 players.
- Set up two goals using the penalty area of your pitch - have one goal in the usual place and the other at the side.
- Put two players in as goalkeepers - keep changing them unless you are playing your usual goalkeeper.
- Set up two cones about 10m apart that your players have to run around.
How to play soccer passing game
- Check out the diagram. Make sure players are doing this at pace and thinking about where they're running and the quality of ball they are passing or shooting.
- A group of players stand top left and the coach top right.
- The first player in the group passes to A then runs around the cone into a position to score in goal 1.
- A then runs towards goal 2 and shoots from pass by the coach.
- B replaces A and we start again.
What to look for in this soccer passing exercise
After they have completed the drill a couple of times you should begin to see players running, passing, looking and moving to the ball a lot more fluently.
Key coaching tips for this soccer passing drill
- Players will find their feet over timing runs to the second goal when the coach is passing the ball for them to run on to.
- Praise good headers, shots and the ability to get to the first cross quickly.
- Make sure your players are focused on what they have to do. Tell them to concentrate on their positions.
Click here for another soccer drill to work on your young players' passing and moving skills.
Click here to subscribe to Soccer Coach Weekly and get more tips, skills and games for training sessions delivered to your inbox.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA