Soccer coaching drill session to run with your U6s and U7s
Use this soccer coaching drill session to train your under-6s and under-7s.
Soccer warm up drills
(These will take up about 10 to 15 minutes.)
Movement with ball for coordination
In this soccer warm up drill tell your players to:
- Touch top of ball with sole of foot, alternate feet.
- Roll ball back and forth with sole of foot, alternate feet.
- Roll ball forward walking.
- Roll ball backwards walking backwards.
- Walk on the spot and touch top of ball with sole of foot - alternating feet.
- Walk and touch top of ball with sole of foot in a clockwise manner.
- Walk and touch top of ball with sole of foot in a counter clockwise manner.
Take five for flexibility (5 minutes)
Play Tag with training bibs
Give two or three of your players training bibs to hold in their hand and try to tag other players below the waist with the bib. Once tagged the player then becomes ‘it’.
Advanced tag (10 minutes)
Play Tag in game-like situations
Tag with dribbling
- Tell all players to dribble a ball while two or three chasers with training bibs in hand and ball at feet try to tag other players. Once tagged the new chaser takes over being ‘it’.
- Get two or three players to hold a ball in their hands and chase dribbling players. Tell them to try and hit the dribbling players’ ball with a two-handed throw, if successful the dribbling player becomes another “cannonballer”.
Training with dribbling skills drills (10 minutes)
- Tell your players to dribble around a grid in this soccer drill, keeping the ball close to their body, dribble into open space, keeping their heads up.
- Tell your players when you shout “stop” they must put the sole of their foot on top of the ball. When you shout “change” they must leave their ball to run to another player’s ball and start dribbling again.
Soccer game (15 minutes)
Play 4 v 4 or 3 v 3 small-sided soccer games
- Indoor training drills: Divide the court in half and play two games going across the gym.
- Outdoor training drills: For outside play, use a 20m x 20m area.
Soccer warm-down drill (5 minutes)
- Leg stretches, bend knees, stretch backs of legs.
- Then tell your players to stand in a circle with their hands above their heads, take it in turns to call a player’s name, then run to that player, and give a high five. This continues until all the players names have been called.
Click here to order a copy of Fun Soccer Games for 5 to 8 Year Olds.
Click here to order a copy of Fun Soccer Games for 9 to 11 Year Olds.
For a fun dribbling soccer game to run with 5 to 8 year olds, click here.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA