Soccer drill to get players creating a space before receiving a pass
Coach your players to create space before receiving a pass. By using these soccer skills, your players will avoid immediate pressure, giving themselves time to make good decisions with the ball and a chance to execute them.
What your players should think about in this soccer drill
- Move away at an angle so the defender follows.
- Cut back quickly into the space created, leaving the defender trailing.
- Accelerate into space.
- Move too soon or too late to receive the pass and the space might be closed down.
- Communication – verbal, eye contact, movement.
- Variation – attack the space behind the defender.
Soccer (football) drill set up
- Set up an area 20 yards by 20 yards.
- Split your squad into teams of three, including one server, one attacker and one defender.
How to run the soccer drill
- The forward takes up a position facing the server on the edge of the area, with a defender, who is passive to begin with, marking behind. The forward creates space before receiving a pass from the server.
- The soccer drill ends with the forward in control of the ball.
- Rotate the players in the soccer drill, so everyone practises being the forward.
How to develop the soccer drill
- Using the same area, put one server at each corner outside the playing area, with a ball each.
- The other players pair up inside the playing area with one being the attacker and the other the defender.
- The forward must break free of the defender, receive a ball from any server and play it back without losing possession.
- Soccer drill progressions include the forward taking two or three touches before returning the ball, and returning the ball to a different server.
- Be sure to rotate players in this drill.
- Develop the soccer drill by playing 2v2 in the same area, with a target player camped on opposite touch lines. A team wins a point for moving the ball from one target player to the other without losing possession.
- The opponents win possession by tackling or intercepting the ball, or if it goes out of play. Target players can move along their line and should be rotated throughout.
to get soccer coaching plans dropping into your inbox every week with a subscription to Smart Sessions soccer coaching plans
. Smart Sessions
come in advanced and core versions.Click here
for a soccer drill to get players passing and receiving skills.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA