Dodging defenders small sided soccer game
Use this simple small-sided soccer game to get your attackers passing and moving the ball to prevent defenders gaining possession.
In this small-sided soccer coaching drill all your players are working all the time.
Game set up
- Divide your players into groups of four and mark out a six-yard square for each of the groups to work in.
- In each square spread out five or six markers.
Run small-sided soccer game
- The game is simple: three of the players are attackers and have to keep the ball away from the defender. Players can move around the square in any direction, passing the ball as often as they wish.
- The defender is trying to intercept the pass or tackle the player with the ball.
- None of the attackers or the defender are allowed to touch the markers. If they do, they have to run once around the square before joining the game again.
Advance the drill skills
You can advance the players' skills by changing the numbers and balance of defender versus attackers, and put more or less markers in the area.
Get more useful weekly soccer tips by subscribing to Soccer Coach Weekly. Click here to find out more.
Click here for a team soccer drill to work on passing skills.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA