1v1 soccer drill to get attackers finding space
Young attackers often find themselves in situations where they are facing a single defender and have to make decisions as they look for space so they can get past them and score. In this coaching session, the 1v1 soccer drill gives your attacker a good test in attempting to create space to score.
Soccer (football) drill set up
- Make an area 25 x 20 yards with cones for this drill.
- You need two goals - I use corner flags as goalposts - and two more cones to mark the place where the players stand in the drill.
- There are two goalkeepers and two outfield players.
Start the soccer drill
- The defender passes into the attacker to start the drill.
- The attacker tries to create space in order to shoot at goal, while the defender must close him down.
- The attacker is allowed to score in either goal and should be encouraged to show disguise and skill in order to lose the defender and score.
Soccer Attack! by Michael Beale, Chelsea FC academy coach, contains 80 Shooting and Finishing Drills. Click here to download a sample drill from Soccer Attack! and read all about this comprehensive new manual.
Click here for a soccer drill to get your players building attacking patterns.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA