1v1 Soccer drill for attack and defence in penalty area
This is a series of 1v1 soccer coaching drills that are physically and mentally demanding for the players as they compete to win the game. They must show strength and patience in order to win the battle.
Set up the soccer drill
Use the 18-yard area of pitch or set up an area 30 yards x 20 yards with a goal. You will also need some cones and balls.
How to run the soccer (football) drill
- One player from each team goes into the penalty area to start the drill.
- The other players surround the outside of the area with a ball each.
- The black player starts by receiving a ball from one of his team-mates and attempting to score.
- The white player must use his skills to defend.
- The players switch roles for the next ball. The soccer drill continues until all the balls have been played into the area.
Soccer coaching tip: Players have to be quick to enter and leave the area, defenders must use their skills to stop the attackers from turning and make sure they try and block any shot if the attacker manages to create space to shoot.
Click here for more soccer drills to improve your players' defence skills with a copy of Perfect Defending by Michael Beale, Chelsea FC academy coach.
For another attacking soccer (football) drill, click here.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA