Lunging soccer drill for goalkeepers
The lunge is a versatile fitness exercise that is helpful to warm-up your goalkeeper. The exercise can be used to develop all-round lower-body strength, flexibility, balance and power.
Lunges can be performed as body weight exercises or with weights to increase resistance.
Lunging soccer drill
- The player should stand with his feet about a shoulder-width apart.
- He steps forward with one leg, landing with the heel first.
- At the finishing position the knee should be bent at 90 degrees and held directly over the toes.
- The movement is continued until the back knee is nearly touching the ground.
- The player returns to the starting position by driving upward with the front leg.
- He repeats the soccer drill by stepping forwards with the other leg.
- Throughout the exercise, the back should be kept straight and the head up, looking forwards. It is important to perform the exercise slowly and with a good posture.
for a footwork soccer drill to work on with your goalkeeper.
To order a DVD with more than 160 soccer drills and practices for goalkeepers, designed by
goalkeepers, click here
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA