Small sided soccer game to pounce on a through ball
This small-sided soccer game is a great one to get your soccer players pouncing on the through ball from your team's positive passer.
The positive passer is the player who puts the ball into danger areas. You need to coach this skill by telling your player to:
Game to make the most of positive passing skills
- Pass into space.
- Pass the ball forward.
- Look for opportunities to pass the ball into dangerous areas of the pitch - the penalty area.
- When your player feels like he might lose it, tell him to pass into the corners of the pitch where his team-mates are likely to be.
One thing about having a positive passer is that it puts teams on the back foot and maybe the pass doesn't reach your forward but the opposition defence has got to deal with it and that's when mistakes occur and your attackers pounce. Use this game to put the theory to the test.
Set up the game
Run the game
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum).
- Mark out a 10 x 10 yard area on one touchline, as in the diagram.
- Two teams of four players.
- One goal, one keeper.
- One team works as the passing team.
- One team works as the defenders.
- The passing team work in the 10 x 10 yard area, passing the ball around and attempting to retain possession.
- Each player in the defending team has two turns at entering the area and attempting to win possession from the passers.
- If the defending player manages to force a mistake or win possession, then they break out of the 10 x 10 yard area and receive a pass from the coach in order to shoot at goal.
- If the passing team manages to make 10 consecutive passes, then the defender is ejected and replaced.
- The passing team scores a point for each set of 10 consecutive passes.
- The defending team scores a point for each goal scored from a pass from the soccer coach.
- When each defender has had two attempts at defending, rotate the teams.
to order a copy of 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games
by Michael Beale, Chelsea FC academy coach.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA