Zig zag soccer drill for midfielders
Midfielders need to be strong runners and should have the ability to get up and down a pitch quickly, whether it's at 7-a-side or 11-a-side. So you need to give them a lot of speed fitness training drills to work on these skills. Try to set aside 10 minutes at each soccer coaching session to get all your players doing these drills.
This is a simple soccer drill to use, which you can set up quickly with just a few cones.
Backward zig-zag drill
- Place two lines of markers 3-5m apart, to form a 15-metre long channel for this drill.
- Stand at one end, back facing down the channel.
- Shuffle backward and sideways, zig-zagging down the channel.
- Get your players to maintain a low centre of gravity throughout the soccer drill.
- Repeat the drill five times. Rest for 90 seconds between drill repetitions.
for a soccer drill to get your midfielders defending, then attacking.
Soccer coaching tips
Improve your soccer training skills. Sign up for a FREE weekly email, full of simple proven tips, advice and drills.
"I look forward to every issue because it is concise and filled with great information. In times like this, with very busy schedules, it is invaluable. I highly recommend it."
Victor Gascon, Coach, USA